Friday 23 April 2010

Writing On Writing - 23 April 2010

A Story Of Unconventional Publishing was my first attempt at two things I have posted about previously: planning and shipping.

To be honest, I’m not that happy with how the post turned out. While the plan did help focus and structure things somewhat, by the end even I’m not sure what my point was. I think I spent too long on the introduction and not long enough on what should have been the body. Shipping certainly helped me get something posted in time, however again I’m not terribly happy with the result. Even with the amount of time I set aside I was still rushed prior to the deadline.

Don’t get me wrong, I think it was better than it would have been without a plan and shipping on time is important. I also think I have learned a few useful things:
1. I need to have a very clear idea of what my point is first, then plan around that.
2. I need to leave more time for editing and proofing.
3. While working to a maximum word count was good, I found myself not only worrying about how to get under 750 words, but also that I would cut too much out.

It will be interesting to re-read the post tomorrow and see how I feel about it then.

I would really appreciate any feedback on A Story Of Unconventional Publishing, was there anything you liked? Anything that wasn’t clear? Anything that was just plain bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment