Friday 18 June 2010

The Bizarre Appeal of Sports Events

I'll start by saying i am not a football fan. I really couldn't give a rats ass about watching it 99% of the time and yet somehow i have watched 20 of the first 22 matches in the World Cup ... I'm not even just talking about having it on in the background or channel hopping past it, i have sat and watched all the way through twenty full 90 minute matches. That is 30 hours of my life that i am never getting back.

Ok part of the reason i have been watching must be that i am currently of limited employment, which means that i actually have the time to watch 3 football matches a day. But it still doesn't explain why i can't think of anything better to do, i'm not even sure that i actually enjoy watching football.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there must be some psychological reason (or subliminal messages in the tv coverage) that makes people enjoy watching big sporting events, but the exact mechanism - or how i can avoid it - elude me...

No comments:

Post a Comment